AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURERS 1909-2006
A - C
1911 – The Aeroplane Company of America, Boston, MA
Albert C. Trianca ACCA was capitalized at $100,000. (Incorporation reported in Aero 1-7-1911)
Aeroplane Construction Company of Boston
Aeroplane Construction Company of Boston, MA
1909- CM-2 aeroplane
Aerovel Aircraft Company
1939- Howell W, Miller, Springfield, MA
(See H. W. Miller’s separate production companies: Military Aircraft Corp. 1939. and Miller Aircraft Corp. 1937 both located in Springfield, MA
Albree, Timson, Pigeon Companies
(Click for additional info and photos)
Heraclio Alfaro, Cambridge, MA / Cleveland, OH
1930- PTG –Glider
1930 Pitcairn-Alfaro PCA-2-30 Autogiro (one of a kind -not related to Pitcairn's PCA-2)
Alleas Aviation Company, Boston, MA (capitalized at $50,000.)
Jean M. Alleas, President, Joseph Brettler, Attorney; Emile F. Coulon, Director / Investor
1910- 2 place Monoplane “Papillion” First flight planned for spring of 1911 at Squantum at the field owned by Ms. Lotta Crabtree. Steel three bladed propeller built at the Forge at Quincy Point was geared to the monoplane’s twin Detroit Aero 25hp. 2-cyl., 4 cycle, air cooled, 149 lbs. engines. Jean Alleas was the aviator, Founau the mechanic for the flight.
First flight attempt was not successful as the twin engines were not powerful enough to lift the “Papillion” into the air. The “Papillion” was renamed the “Groundhog” by the principals; the tests were cancelled and there is no record of any further flights.
Archmere Airplane Company
Archmere Airplane Company, Lowell Airport, Lowell, MA - Charles W. Sutherland 94 Summer Street, Weston, MA (Archmere merged into the parent company: General Aircraft Corporation in 1941)
1940- G1-80 Skyfarer-2 place, high wing monoplane; tricycle landing gear; 75 hp. Lycoming GO-145-C2; Span: 31’5”; Length: 22’; Height at vertical stabilizers: 8’8”; Top Speed: 100 MPH; Cruise: 92 mph @ 5,000’ Stall Speed: 44 mph; Range: 350 miles. ATC A-742 was awarded July 21, 1941. Flight-testing conducted at East Boston Airport 1940 and at Lowell Airport 1941-1942.
(See parent company: General Aircraft Corporation)
Arrowplane Manufacturing Company, Inc., 65 Washington Street, North, Boston and Saugus, MA
William H. Hilliard, President
W. E. Timson, Treasurer /Director
C.F. Dutch, Attorney
Joseph C. Shoemaker, President of the Cumberland Class Company, Principal Stockholder
Note: Joseph Shoemaker was the prime mover in this organization- General Manager, and eventually aviator. Bill Hilliard was initially active with the Arrowplane Company but returned to the Burgess Company in September 1910 and then left again in June 1911 to obtain his aviators license (July 4, 1911) in England. Hilliard returned to the U.S. in August 1911 left his aviation career for good and joined a Boston area automobile firm.
1910- Herring–Burgess Model A # 3 (Modified) powered by a Herring-Curtiss 25 hp. engine This aeroplane was purchased for $5,000 under a mortgage finance agreement with the Burgess & Curtis Company. Shoemaker and aviator Bill Hilliard modified the H-B Model A in August 1910 at Plum Island for future exhibition work and rebuilt it with improved control surfaces. It was planned to use this aeroplane as a prototype for constructing and marketing a future model Arrowplane. Hilliard after actively test flying the modified Model A aeroplane at Plum Island subsequently flew it low and slow at the Harvard Boston Aero Meet in September 1910. After the aero meet Hilliard was re-hired by the Burgess Company and left the employ of the Arrowplane Company. Shoemaker returned to his office at the Cumberland Glass Company in Boston and stored the Model A away for the winter.
1911-1912- Arrowplane seaplane- a pusher biplane first flown at Saugus, powered with the first Sturtevant engine, an experimental prototype engine provided by Noble Foss of the newly formed Sturtevant Manufacturing Company, Hyde Park, Boston. This engine was the first of many Model D-4, 48 hp. L-head, water cooled engines produced by Sturtevant.
In the Spring of 1911 Shoemaker, with the help of Fred Chanonhouse of Malden a talented mechanic and aviation enthusiast, restarted the Arrowplane Company at the Saugus Racetrack flying field. They rebuilt the Model A until they got it to fly for short distances on a reasonably consistent basis. Both Shoemaker and Chanonhouse taught themselves to fly, and tested each of the modifications they made to the Model A. The forward elevator was moved to the rear of the craft, the skids were replaced by wheels and ailerons for lateral control were added. They also started work on a new seaplane design
that, although photographed at Saugus, little is known as to its success in the air or on the water nearby.
The summer of 1911 they met Foss who worked in the Foss owned family business, the B.F. Sturtevant Manufacturing Company in Hyde Park, Boston. Noble had spearheaded the company’s move into the aviation engine business after seeing first hand the aviation progress made in Europe. In August 1911 Sturtevant Company built their first prototype aircraft engine designated the Foss-Bliss, a 4 cyl. in line 40 hp. The engine was first installed in the modified Arrowplane (and subsequently the prototype seaplane) the performance of both aircraft was dramatically improved. Both Chanonhouse and Shoemaker made a number of successful flights through October and flew until a crash resulting from a stall severely damaged the Arrowplane. After the crash the Arrowplane Company faded away. The modified H-B #3 and the prototype seaplane were stored away until 1918 when Joseph Shoemaker returned to New Jersey. The modified H-B #3 (and possibly the seaplane) was shipped to his family farm in Bridgeton, New Jersey. Later in the 1960s, the Arrowplane artifacts, the modified H-B Model A # 3 with its prototype Foss-Bliss engine (and possibly the seaplane) were donated to the National Air & Space Museum.
Ashburnham Aviation Company
Minott P. Hubbell and Harry C. Lord - Gliders, Ashburnham, MA
1910- Biplane Glider-- Wing Span: 21’ Wing area: 210 square feet, 6 square feet of tail surface, the elevator has a surface of 25 square feet and the glider weighed- under 100 lbs. This first glider was built using plans published in a 1909 issue of Scientific American.
The operational glider that these two students of Cushing Academy built at the T. R. Almond Co. and flew at Brown’s hill in Ashburnham MA was displayed at the First National Exposition of Aerial Craft in February 1910 at Mechanics Hall, Boston. They offered the plans for constructing a similar glider or to build gliders to order. They also planned to build a future powered version in Ashburnham.
1931- Baltrun Flying Service, Springfield, MA Joseph Baltrun
Built or re-built one or more aircraft for designer Robert Hall of the Springfield Aircraft Company in Baltrun’s Aviation Trades and Flight School
Anthony Bellotti, New Bedford, MA
1931- Sport biplane with 40hp. Salmson engine; (ID-987M) Possibly a Lincoln Sport biplane type
1932- L.W. Berni, East Boston, MA
Berkshire Aircraft Company, 91 Brown Street, Pittsfield, MA Wilfred R. Reed
1929- Silver Cloud Monoplane “Simplest airplane in the world”. Low wing tractor Monoplane, 30-hp. 4cyl. water cooled engine, max. speed: 70-mph, landing speed: 35-mph.
From their Advertisement circa 1929-1930: “This plane is now flying and available for inspection at Fisk Airport Springfield, MA. A construction kit of six blueprints available for $15.00.”
(n.b. Fisk (Park) Airport was at the site where the Springfield Airport was established by the Tait Brothers in 1928-1929 and in July 1929 the airport became the home of Grandville Brothers Aircraft Co.)
Slouer and Reinhardt, Quincy, MA
1929- Model M c/n 1 all wood construction – it was completed but did not fly.
1933- Model M c/n 2 1-place high wing monoplane with wood wing structure, tubular steel fuselage and tail structure. Powered by a 60-hp. Anzani engine. First flight August 3, 1933. This aircraft was later stored away in a garage and was discovered in the early 1960s by Elden Langley of Norfolk, MA.
1962- The Model M c/n 2 was restored and flown for the first time since the 1930s on June 13, 1962.
The aircraft now has a 90-hp Franklin engine; Span: 30’; length 17’; airfoil USA 35A modified; chord 65”; height 6’2”; top speed: 70 mph, cruise: 65 mph, landing speed: 30 mph; range: 3.5 hours; takeoff run to clear 50’ obstacle: 1000’ climb: fast; empty weight: 840-lb; gross weight: 1200-lb.
Cost to acquire and rebuild $2,000. Registration circa 1962: N-13270 (Skyways)
Boston Aero Company
The Boston Aero Company, 410 Newbury Street, Boston MA
1910-Pigeon Monoplane - designed by Albert A. Gouldhart; powered by a Goblin motor, a 6 cyl. (?) rotary similar to a Gnome; Wing span: 36’; Aircraft was reported as being as large as a Antoinette and the largest monoplane at the Boston Aerial Exposition of 1911. The fuselage and wing structure was constructed with hollow spars of Sitka spruce. The wings were designed to pivot—when one wing was raised the opposite wing was automatically lowered within a range of 4 to 18 degrees. The wing’s angle of incidence could also be altered in flight. This monoplane was built as a joint venture with the Pigeon Hollow Spar Company of East Boston.
Observers witnessed flights of 200’ at an altitude of 10’ to 15’ but the 6 cyl. rotary engine never could produce the thrust to really fly the machine.(perhaps a timing problem?) A Gnome engine was planned for future flights.
Brooks, Banks, and Smith
Brooks, Banks and Smith Corporation. Framingham, MA
1919- Avro 504K and Curtiss JN-4 war surplus aircraft
This company with Arthur Raymond Brooks the World War one ace as President purchased aircraft from the surplus postwar stocks of the Canadian and U.S. Government. Received in knock down form the aircraft were assembled, flight-tested and offered for sale at the State Muster Field at Framingham.
Co. and Curtis (Burgess & Co.)
(Click for additional info and photos)
Butler and Saunders
Butler and Saunders, 341 Newbury Street, Boston, MA (Built by Nat Butler a noted bicycle racer)
1911- Bleriot Cross Channel type monoplane—with a three-cyl. Anzani motor equipped with two wheel “alighting” gear and with wings covered with Naiad cloth. This aircraft was on exhibition at the Second National Exhibition of Aerial Craft February 20-25, 1911 at Mechanics Hall, Boston.
Samuel Cabot, Boston and Morris Island, Chatham, MA
1895- Experimental gliders-- Lilienthal type
Cabot a founding member and active experimenter of the Boston Aeronautical Society engaged James A. Crowell of Stage Harbor, Chatham to build and test gliders on the dunes and marshes in the area of Morris Island. They both made numerous short flights of home built experimental Lilienthal type gliders in the summer months from 1895 to 1900. In 1897 Gustave Whitehead was hired by the Boston Aeronautical Society to assemble and test gliders in the Boston area. In that same year he was sent down to Chatham on Cape Cod to assist Samuel Cabot with his glider experiments. (Cape Cod Magazine, May 1926, p.10)
H. A. Angus Conners Aviation Company, Boston, MA
H. A. Conners and Frank S. Corlow Incorporators; Capital $50,000.
1910- Conners Biplane- Wings: 33’ x 5’5”; Wing Surface: 490 sq. ft.; Rudder: 2’ 10” x 3’ 10”; Length: 36” Control surfaces: Self stabilizing; Chassis: Farman Type; Weight: 840lbs.; Engine: Conners 8-Cyl. 40hp. water-cooled engine-with Bosch magneto; and Scheveron 8’ propeller. (The Conners biplane was entered but not flown at the Harvard Boston Aero Meet of 1910.)
Charles R. Culver, Springfield, MA
1909- Pusher biplane- body on four wheels, fuselage placed above, and several wings in two sets all connected and all variable. Propeller and engine placed in rear of the wings. Steering elevator forward, vertical rudder at rear. (Janes All the Worlds Aircraft, 1909)