AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURERS 1909-2006
M - R
C. S. McKeil, Somerville MA
Albert A. Merrill, Boston and Cambridge, MA
1912- Model A, experimental flying wing pusher biplane powered by a rotary engine.
Flight-tested by Roy Waite and Chauncey Redding at Saugus Racetrack airfield.
1913- Model B, experimental staggered wing, tractor biplane with twin floats powered by an 80-hp. Gyro rotary engine. It was equipped with ailerons and a vertical stabilizer and rudder assembly. Built in Salem, MA and flight tested by C. F. Montague-Chambers on and over Salem and Marblehead Harbors. Model B features were designed and patented by R. D. Andrews, Merrill’s friend and fellow member of the Boston Aeronautical Society.
George A. Metcalf, Malden, MA
1909-- Metcalf Helicopter---1 place, Length: 22’, width: 48’ (includes the sweep of the propeller blades), Body under helices; Propellers: 2, 20’ placed 8’ apart on the same shaft. Propellers counter-rotate and tilt to all angles. Steering: By tilting the machine. A model of the helicopter was displayed at the First National Exhibition of Aerial Craft at Mechanics Hall, Boston, February 16-23 1910.
As reported in Janes all the World Aircraft of 1909
(Click for additional info and photos)
Military Aircraft Company
Howell W. Miller, Springfield, MA
1939- Military Trainer
(see Miller Aircraft Corporation)
Miller Aircraft Corporation Springfield, MA Howell W. Miller, Springfield, MA
HM-1 “Time Flies” (NEAC - New England Aircraft Corporation)
MAC-1 (MAC) Rebuilt “Time Flies”
Aeronautical Engineering Society, Cambridge, MA
1922- Competition glider for the French and German invitational glider meets of 1924. Flight testing and training on Hog Island, Ipswich; MIT graduate student Edward Turney Allen was the glider test pilot here and later in 1922 flew the glider in the competitive meets in France and Germany. Allen was later Director of Flight and Aerodynamics at the Boeing Company 1939-1944.
1987- Daedalus 87 and 88 - 1 place human powered, pusher monoplanes constructed and tested at Hanscom Field, Bedford, MA. On April 23,1988 Daedalus 88 flew at 13 mph at an altitude of 50 feet, 199 km. (72 miles) from Crete to the island of Santorini in 3 hours and 54 minutes to set a distance and endurance record for a human powered aircraft.
Moth Aircraft Corporation, Lowell Airport, Lowell MA
Minton M. Warren, President
Frank M. Smith, VP
Walter F. Andrews, Secretary
Raymond B. Hindle, Treasurer
Moth employed 250 at Lowell Airport offices and plant: 1928-1930
1928- DH-60GM- DeHavilland Gipsy Moth built under license at Lowell Airport—Flight tested at Lowell and demonstrated and flown throughout the United States. Moth Company imported 17 DH-60GMs from the UK and its total production at Lowell was 108 aircraft. Moth was acquired by the Curtiss-Wright Company and all sales and production operations were transferred to St. Louis, MO in in1930. Production of the DH Moth ended at Curtiss-Wright in 1931.
Specifications: 2-place, biplane, 85-100hp. Wright-Gipsy engine , air cooled, inline, 4cyl., 85hp. 1,900 rpm. Span: 30’; Wings folded: 9’10”; Height 8’9.5”; Weight: empty- 975lbs.; Weight full load:1,434lbs.; with 196 lbs. of baggage: 1,650lbs. Speed: Full: 103mph.; Cruising: 85-90mph.; Stall; 40mph. Range: 360 / 400 miles; 365 gal. fuel capacity.
National Aviation (Burlingame)
National Aviation and Construction Company, Elmer Burlingame, President, Wollaston, Quincy, MA
1908- Burlingame reported in the press that he constructed the Imp Glider and he was planning enter the Waltham Glider Meet.
1909- Imp powered monoplane was ground tested or flight-tested at Squantum but there are no known accounts in the press or elsewhere on the success of those trials. An advertisement by the National Aviation and Construction Company in 1910 was placed in national aviation magazines offering the Imp monoplane for sale. There is no information available on any further production or sales.
New England Aircraft Company, Boston, MA. Howell W. Miller
1938- HM-1 “Time Flies”
(See Miller Aircraft Corporation)
1953- Omega Aircraft Corporation, New Bedford Airport, MA B. W. Sznycer, President
1956- BS-12 Reg. N267B, Prototype Omega helicopter- powered by 2- 210 Franklin 6VS-335 engines
First flight; October 24,1956- A possible contender for the world’s first flight of a twin engine helicopter.
1957-BS-12B Reg. N290B, Helicopter- First production version completed 12/26/1956 powered by 2- 260 hp. Lycoming O-540 engines 4-place cabin; Max. Speed: 95MPH; Cruise: 88Mph.; Range: 190 miles; Fuel: 32 gal. per hour, Empty weight: 3260lbs.
1957-BS-12D-1 Reg. N285B, Helicopter- powered by 2- 260 hp. Lycoming O-540 engines 5-place cabin
1957- BS-12-3 Reg. N-286B, Helicopter- powered by 2- 210 Franklin 6VS-335 engines with superchargers for high altitude capability.
1953-1960- Flight test and manufacturing operations were based at New Bedford Airport. Test Pilot: David Frawley. Omega leased the Massachusetts Air Industries hangar for assembly, maintenance and storage.
1960- Omega acquired by Aero Industries Inc. / Franklin Engines. and relocated to Syracuse, NY
Chet Lisak, MAHS member; and Atlantic Flyer January 1991
Palmer Motor Company, 82 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA
Harry A. Palmer, President; James Duane, Secretary - Treasurer
1929 — Model 1 (Reg. 802N) powered by a 20-hp. Palmer 6-cyl Cam engine (Serial #2)
Span 40’, Wing Chord: 6’6” Length: 26’ CAA license application: 11/5/1929
Sold to: Harry Hunt d/b/a Hunt Aircraft Manufacturing Company c/o Jackson Mills, Inc. Fiskville, RI.
Registration cancelled 5/31/1932 by CAA for reason of failure to submit the title of aircraft.
Samuel F. Perkins, Boston, MA
1909-Man lifting kites- Contracts with U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and with scientific expeditions for observation and communications kites.
Pigeon Hollow Spar Company, East Boston, MA Fred Pigeon, Roy Pigeon Owner / Managers
1911- Pigeon Monoplane (a Bleriot Type Monoplane) - exhibited at the Exposition of Aerial Craft, February 1911 at Mechanics Hall, Boston. (A joint venture with the Boston Aero Company; see listing)
This company was a subcontractor for a number of aircraft manufacturers including the Burgess and Sturtevant Companies and for the U.S. Army and Navy for specialty and custom wood assembles for aviation use. The company produced the airship control cars for the Model B USN airships, five unique monoplanes developed for George N. Albree under the Albree - Timson patents and the rear hollow spars for all four Curtiss NC Flying boats.
Puritan Aircraft Incorporated, 94 Summer St. Weston, MA Charles W. Sutherland President & Treasurer
1937-1939- Puritan Monoplane- (November 1939) Designed by Otto C. Koppen of MIT this unique aircraft was the prototype for the General Aircraft G1-80 Skyfarer. This design was a “foolproof, non-spinable airplane. Two controls were used, there were no rudder pedals, and turns on the ground and in the air were made by turning the control wheel. Puritan, and its rights and patents was purchased from Sutherland and Koppen for cash and stock and absorbed by Archmere and General Aircraft in 1940. Archmere / General were private DuPont investment companies who were providing the initial funding and long-term capital to build the Skyfarer. The name General Aircraft for the successor company was descriptive and similar to the name General Motors that they gave to a previous DuPont family investment.
(See Archmere and General Aircraft Corporation)
N. B. Rich Airplane Company, Springfield, MA 1935 Nelson Bernard Rich of Boston and Springfield MA
1939—Bud Rich Twin- Model 1-X-A (Reg. NX 23001) 2 or 3 place, low cantilever wing with twin 50 hp. Lycoming engines mounted on pylons above the wing. Cruising speed: 100-mph. Tricycle landing gear which semi retracted, Fuselage was 22’; the wingspan was 35’;and the tail group was fabric covered with welded steel tube structure.
1940--- The Rich Twin Model 1-X-2 (a further modification of the Model 1-X-A) (Reg. NX- 23001)
The Lycoming engines were upgraded to 75-HP., the twin fins were increased in area enlarging the sections above the stabilizer. The cruising speed was increased to 115 mph with a maximum speed of 135 mph.
1. The Rich Twin made a round trip to the National Air Races at Cleveland in 1940 and on its return flight “swallowed a valve” near Gardner, MA but it landed safely.
2 .Bud Rich was asked in the mid 1960s “What happened to the Twin? He said at that time it was sitting behind his house in New Hampshire and the kids played in it.